Pittsburg, KS fire department warns about the dangers of carbon monoxide

Not one, but two recent carbon monoxide calls for the Pittsburg, (Kansas) Fire Department have officials reminding residents about the dangers of the odorless, killer gas. KRPS’s Fred Fletcher-Fierro has more.

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

According to the CDC, on average, every year at least 430 people die in the US of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. That’s in addition to the roughly 50,000 people who visit emergency rooms on an annual basis because of being poisoned by a gas that is colorless and odorless. Recently, the Pittsburg Fire Department responded to two carbon monoxide poisoning incidents that forced residents in rental properties to evacuate due to hazardous levels of the poisonous gas. Both instances involved unlicensed and unpermitted work being done to the residences.

Due to the dangerous nature of these incidents, the fire department wants to remind the community of the importance of having working carbon monoxide detectors in the home. Carbon monoxide is created when fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane burn incompletely. Heating and cooking equipment that burns fuel can also be a source of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide enters the body through breathing and CO poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning, and other illnesses. For 89 9 KRPS, I’m Fred Fletcher-Fierro

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s